Halong Bay has made a lot of noise in the international tourism scene ever since it was granted with a UNESCO World Heritage Site title in 1994. And even after 10 years up to now, it still is making a lot of huge popularity votes from all kinds of travellers from around the globe.
But with all its popularity and fame, as an avid fan of traveling, you have to know these 10 cool facts about the New Wonder of Nature:
1. There are nearly 2000 tall and rocky islands located in Halong Bay. It consists of two types; Karst & Schist.
2. Less than half of the islands have been named. And most of the names are based from the islands’ shape.
3. Halong Bay directly translates to the “Bay of the Descending Dragons”. According to legend, the islands were formed from the jewels and jade dropped from the mouth of the dragons sent by the gods.
4. Halong Bay was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site twice in 1994 and in 2000, and it was included in the 7 New Wonders of Nature list in 2011.
5. Halong Bay is the home of about 1000 species of plants, fishes, corals, mammals, reptiles, and birds in total.
6. Most of the islands in Halong Bay are uninhabitable due to its steep and high formations.
7. It is believed that some of the limestone formations in Halong Bay are more than 20 million years of age.
8. It took over 500 million years for Halong Bay’s islands to form beneath the sea and rise up into the air.
9. Halong Bay has about 20 limestone caves that are already explored, but only a few of them are open for the tourists.
10. Halong Bay was featured as a backdrop for the video game “Street Fighter IV”.
VISIT OUR WEBSITE FOR MORE INFO AT WWW.DISCOVERHALONG.COM